What's this all aboot! -> Dave Noisy -> Veganism -> Cycling & Track
Dave Noisy (aka Dave Shishkoff)
- has been vegan 16+yrs, and is an outspoken
- resides in generally-sunny Victoria, BC, Canada;
- has been riding bikes for a while, both off-road and off-dirt, trials, and
was a bike courier for two years;
- raced as a 'weekend warrior' at the velodrome for
3yrs, playing with the 'big boys and girls' since 2005;
- track focus: 4km Pursuit, Points and other long races;
- road focus: mainly TT's;
- riding style: brainy, spinny, high-cadence cardio tank;
- rides a Norco CCX (aluminium cyclocross) w/Campy Veloce 9sp for a winter bike, an Argon18 (alloy/carbon) w/2007 Campy Chorus on the road and Kona (steel) on the track (more
info some day!);
- trains with and is addicted to his PowerTap;
- proud to race for and represent OrganicAthlete;
- is individually sponsored by, and gives mad props to Oak Bay Bikes for their support;
- is also a moonlighting recording
and performing musician;
- works as an animal rights campaigner for Friends of Animals, also self-employed as a web designer & general IT assistance for local
green organizations and businesses;
- enjoys photography (lots of track
enjoys watching The Colbert Report, The Daily Show w/Jon Stewart, Boston Legal,
Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Southpark, 30 Days, Mythbusters, Deadwood, Huff, Weeds, The Office, and oddly enough, Survivor;
enjoys listening to Beck, Pinback, Blur, Andrew Bird, Electric Six,
Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire, Weakerthans, XTC, Tom Waits and Frank Black (among others..) - music review blog can be found here!;
- is 30yrs old, ~157lbs, ~5'10, hung like a rocking chair and stacked like a bookshelf;
- Meyers-Briggs score: INTJ/INFJ (I - 71%, N - 86%, T
- 52%, J - 55%)
- is facinated by fishes and sea life;
- dreads the day they invent 'mock vegetables' made from
is an ethical vegan, and an outspoken opponent of speciesism.
He argues that just as humans should not be judged or mistreated
based on his or her gender or race,
Dave equally believes that
the 'misfortune' of being born into a non-human body is
not a carte blanche for domination over others,
and that we should give equal consideration
and respect to non-human animals.
"Animals of the word exist for their own reasons. They
were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for
whites or women for men."
- Alice Walker
"There may be times when we are powerless to prevent
injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to
- Elie Wiesel
"Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel
a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally"
- Abraham Lincoln
"You have just dined, and however scrupulously the
slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles,
there is complicity."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Live life like you're gonna die...because you are."
William Shatner, You'll Have Time / Has Been
Cycling & Track Racing
Beginning as a somewhat independent tadpole, Dave has always
appreciated bicycles, and how far from home they could get you...with little effort or concern.
efforts began in earnest in the early 90's after moving
to Victoria, BC, and hanging out with typical West Coast
hippies. The addiction to mountain biking began in Victoria,
and really sunk in during a year spent in Vernon, BC.
(Most done on the local 333m outdoor concrete track.)
|Flying Lap (333m):
|666m (2 laps):
|Sydney TT (18km):
| Note: I ain't no sprinter! Hover mouse over stat for more details.
** Efforts from 2005.
to Victoria, he continued riding, and got into trials as well.
No picnic table was left tread-free.. To fully satiate the
addiction, he also spent two years as a bicycle courier until
achieving his fill of fumes and other general pollution.
By then he'd also picked-up a road bike (courier MTB was stolen,
needed replacement, tried something different), and started tooling
out and around town this way.
He'd been invited to try out velodrome racing a number of
times over the years, but didn't visit the track until 2002,
after which he was solidly hooked.
Racing casually for two years, he decided (after watching
the 2004 Canadian Nationals) that he'd give track racing a
well as try his hand at becoming the World's Fastest Vegan on Two Wheels!
(Anyone else wanna play? ;)
2005 was an exciting year, developing racing skills and a foundation. (Link: 2005 Racing Highlights.)
2006 saw Dave work off his 2005 successes, and strengthen and grow as a racer and as a member of the BC cycling community. Having ridden enough circles in all disciplines of track, he decided where to focus his efforts: the 4km Pursuit and longer events, such as the Points Race. While still participating in sprint events for fun at weekly sessions, this is not longer a focus!
The year saw him gain further experience and tactics in racing, challenging his peers in the weekly races, to finish in 1st place in the Victoria league! With focus and dedication, he also managed to drop his 4km Pursuit time down to a respectable 5:22, setting a solid foundation for future events. Dave is also looking forward to improving his Time Trial abilities on the road.
For 2007, Dave will be zeroing-in even more on his disciplines, continue to challenge his peers at the Provincial level, and promote veganism through sport!
Dave Likes to Ride the Velodrome, Nice Shorts!(Roland)
Tearing Up the Asphault at then Sidney TT (Rob)
Page Last Updated: Jan 5th,